Tips for Motorcycle Trips in Austria

What do you have to take into consideration when traveling to Austria? Which documents do you have to take with you? Louis provides you with answers to the most important questions. No liability is accepted for errors – Louis does not accept any responsibility for the accuracy of information.

Die Flagge von ÖsterreichAustriaA

Important! From June 10, 2020 in the state of Tirol certain routes will be inaccessible for particularly loud motorcycles. The gauge is the stationary noise which can be found in the vehicle registration certificate in section U.1. Limit value: 95 db(A). You will find information and a list of the affected routes on the website of the federal state of Tirol.

The driving license & co

Documents you must have with you

  • Driving licence and vehicle registration certificate
  • ID card or passport (since 26.6.12 it has also been obligatory for children travelling within the EU to have their own identity document.)
  • International Motor Insurance Card (Green Card) is recommended.

+ Recommended Products: Vignette Holder, Document Bag

The first aid kit

First-aid kit / Hi-vis vest

Motorcycles must carry a first-aid kit containing suitable wound dressings and in dustproof packaging. A high-visibility vest is not mandatory for motorcycle riders…

The helmet

Mandatory helmet

It is mandatory to wear a helmet! Only helmets which conform to the ECE 22-05 or 22-06 standard are approved.

+ Recommended Products: Visor and Helmet Cleaner, Proofer

The headlights


Motorcycles must have their headlight on even during the daytime.

+ Recommended Products: Motorcycle Lightbulbs

The speedometer

Speed limits

  • Within built-up areas: 50 km/h
  • Outside built-up areas: 100 km/h
  • Dual carriageways (expressways): 100 km/h
  • Motorways (freeways): 130 km/h

The motorway tolls

Road tolls

A vignette (toll sticker) is required for most motorways (freeways) and dual carriageways (expressways) in Austria. A toll is also payable for using various tunnels and mountain roads.

+ Recommended Products: Vignette Holder

The emergency call

Emergency numbers

112 and 144

The alcohol

Legal alcohol limit

0.05% (50 mg/100 ml blood)

The information

Further information

Tourism in Austria:

Motorcycle trips across the Austria borders

Here you will find country tips for motorcycle trips in Austria neighbouring countries.

© Wolfilser –

SearchWishlistUser AccountCartArrow LeftArrow RightArrow Right ThinIcon HomeIcon HomeMenuArrowCaret DownCloseResetVISAmatercardpaypalDHLHermesCheckCheck-additionalStarAdd to Shopping Cartchevron-leftchevron-rightSpinnerHeartSyncGiftchevron-upKlarnaGridListFiltersFileImagePdfWordTextExcelPowerpointArchiveCsvAudioVideoCalendar